Monday, September 29, 2008

Bump in the Road

We didn't make it to the doctor today...but we got a ride to Ball Hospital! I went in this morning to get Mom up and get her ready to go to her doctor's appointment. I asked her if she wanted to go to McDonald's and she said that sounded good. But, when I asked her to get up, she told me her back hurt. Well, as you know, we have all heard that before! I then asked her if I could help her sit up. But when I tried, she cried out, no, no, my back, it hurts. She was lying flat on her back and really couldn't move. I could tell she was trying, but it was just too painful. Okay, now what do I do? I called her doctor, and they suggested just calling an ambulance if I couldn't get her sit up. Called 911 where they determined she wasn't in distress, so they called "the Sheriff's Ambulance". I'm sure that means something, I just don't know what. Anyway, the paramedics came, assessed her, gave her a shot of Demerol, put her on the gurney and took her to the hospital. I followed them there and on the way called Barry, who met us out there. To make a long story short, she has a urinary tract infection. The doc said that would cause her back pain. He gave her 5 days of antibiotic and said to have her drink lots of water. She loved the doctor...As soon as he came in she wanted to hug him, then while he was examining her she pulled him over and kissed the top of his head, looked at him and said...do you want to lay down with me? I thought Barry and I were going to lose it!! She is absolutely adorable sometimes! Anyway, I got her home, took her to the bathroom and she went in her room and sat on the bed. I didn't want to give a a lot to eat, she "sort of" threw up in the car on the way home. So she had a few saltine crackers and a "sippy cup full of water." She doesn't do well with a straw anymore, and she gets choked just drinking from a glass, so I tried one of Cabot's sippy cups. I took the valve out, so the water would come out easily. It worked! She drank almost a full glass. I started this post at 10 pm, but got tired and fell asleep. She was sleeping then and now at 5 am, I am finishing this and she is still sleeping. I am going to reschedule her doctor appointment today, because I want him to still see her. Then he can make sure her infection has cleared up. I guess we will hit bumps sometimes. I thought yesterday, as she was lying in bed here at home, that we were going to have to put her back in the nursing home. That was before we found out in was just what it was. I was thinking she had a severe back problem, that I wouldn't be able to handle her. But it turned out to be just a bump. I hope we stay on a smooth road for awhile!

No comments: