Saturday, September 27, 2008

Trying to Understand

I spent a few hours searching the Internet for an acceptable technique, a well-kept secret or just some useful pointers to help me know how to care for someone with Alzheimer's. I wanted to find a list, numbered from 1 to whatever, of things that I could say or do in certain situations. I found out that all Alzheimer patients are not created equal. I found out that whatever I do, well, is hit and miss. I found out that what might work today, has no chance of working tomorrow. I found out that, like the name of this blog, every moment truly is a new one. Not only for Mom, but for her caregiver. I found out that it doesn't do either of us any good for me to get visibly upset. I have learned that lying to someone with Alzheimer's sometimes in the only way to get them to cooperate. Like telling Mom that if she doesn't let me change her Depends and the sheriff finds out, he will probably write her a ticket! She understood that and let me change them. I found out that a sense of humor is the only way I am going to make it through this. I find myself laughing at some of the crazy things I tell her, because if someone would say those things to me, I would think they were insane! But to her, those things make perfect sense. So, I have come to the conclusion that I can stop trying to understand. There are some things that are beyond understanding. Alzheimer's must be one of them.

No comments: