Saturday, September 27, 2008

Learning Process

Well, my fault I guess. I let Mom stay up until 10:30 pm. She was watching the Waltons and kept telling me she wanted to finish watching the show. Okay, nice guy that I am, let her stay up. She is, after all, 81 years old! BIG MISTAKE! When she gets very tired, she gets very uncooperative. No, she wasn't going to bed right then- no, she wasn't going to use the bathroom- and no, she wasn't putting on her gown, she was sleeping in her clothes. Guess who won? For you who know me, you may think I did, but NO, she won! I tried reasoning, threats (I am calling the doctor and he will come over and make you go to the bathroom and charge you lots of money). I tried pouting (never worked for me as a kid, either). So, she laid down in her bed, covered herself up, and was asleep before I even left the room. She did try to keep her shoes on, but I won that one! Other than that, we had a real good night. She had grilled cheese and chips for supper, that is her light meal of the day. She ate every single bite! She took her pills, but never really understands why she has to take them. She talked to Tim for a minute and watched me work on a photo calendar. She seems to enjoy sitting at the table. I put "stuff" in front of her that she can "mess" with. She likes to fold and refold things. Maybe I should give her my laundry to fold! Anyway, I have a feeling that taking care of Mom will continue to be a learning process. That's okay. We should never stop learning!

No comments: