Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Just Another Day In...

Okay, not paradise! But overall, not a bad day. It started off on a bad note...I had to completely change Mom's sheets, comforter, pillow cases, mattress pad and her gown, plus give her a bath all before I could even start breakfast. The sleeping pills do make her sleep and rather soundly I believe! So her underwear just couldn't hold any more! That's okay. Been through it with my grandson, so it was really no big deal. She seems a little more "shaky" today and she did sleep for 2 or 3 hours this morning while I was out. My friend, Mary, Rebekah's mom came and stayed with Mom for a couple of hours while I went to eat lunch with Tim and ran to the Walmart. Mary said Mom asked her who she was a couple of times and didn't seem too distressed that she was there. She doesn't even know when I leave and when I come back. I think she will be okay when we go to Texas on Friday. I think it will be my sister that might need help! I took some really cute pictures yesterday of Mom, the dog and the therapist, but for some reason they didn't show up on my camera card. She didn't really want to do her therapy yesterday, so I told her to show the dog what she could do. So Sterling laid beside her while she did leg lifts, counting each one and saying to the dog, "Watch Mommy." He is such a good dog for her even though he can't hear her. He is really gentle and lets her pet him, while he lays on her lap. She does call him Buffy or Girl, but he doesn't care! (I took about a half hour here to get Mom to bed.) She took her pills before she ate tonight, which I didn't think anything about...but the sleeping pill kicked her rear, so I had to almost lift her into her wheelchair to get here in the bedroom! She is out like a light, snoring away! Last night, she was still awake two hours after taking her pill, and she kept wanting to get up. I finally went in there and sat down by her bed, where she was talking about whatever...She couldn't put two thoughts together at that point. I lay my head down on her pillow, right next to hers, and she took my hand and fell asleep. Almost like Cabot used to do, when he stayed all night here. She is like a child and I am her mom. We have made the full circle. From the day I was born until now. If this is how it has to be, then I wouldn't change one thing. It's a balancing act and I am still learning how to balance everything. Now, Tim's mom is in the operating room at Ball Hospital, with possible appendicitis. She had no symptoms of it, but her stomach hurt. A CT scan showed three or four places around her appendix. One of the doctors hinted at cancer. They will know in about an hour or two. My first instinct is to run...Leave, go away, move to Texas, Mexico, Florida, anywhere but here where reality resides. Reality is cruel and sometimes that fantasy world looks pretty good. But I'll stay here and face reality head-on. There really is no other way. I know that God is in control, no matter how out of control I feel. I guess this really isn't paradise. But it is what it is. And we will deal with it.

No comments: