Tuesday, October 7, 2008

She's Back!....Almost

Last night getting Mom to bed was difficult...She kept looking for electrical outlets on her bed. She practically tore the bed apart trying to find "them." I had to take all the extra pillows off her bed, because they seemed to be an issue with her. She did put her gown on by herself, though. I had a plug in night light in her room from the beginning, but as she became more "alert", she messed with it. Turning it off and on, covering it up, etc. So a few nights ago I took it out of her room. I don't know if that is what spurred the "electrical outlet" thing or not. I couldn't convince her to go to the bathroom before she went to bed, so I knew she would probably get up later. So around 3:30 a.m. she did get up...I heard her in her room and got up to help her. She told me thank you a few times and got back in to bed and went to sleep. Around 7 a.m. I got up and noticed her door was opened. (she always has it closed) I peeked in and she was in bed asleep. So I went in to the bathroom and noticed that she had "pottied" and obviously got back up by herself and got herself back to bed! Amazing! At 9 am I heard her moving around in her room, so I let her do whatever she was doing and then went to check on her. She had gotten herself dressed, shoes, socks, and all! I was amazed again! I told her I was going in to fix her breakfast and she said she was hungry. So I was fixing breakfast and she walked out of her room and in to the bathroom. So I walked over and peeked in the bathroom, where she was standing in front of the mirror combing her hair! Now you've got to understand...she has never done that since she has been here and I don't think she did that in the nursing home. I went back to fixing breakfast, not letting her know that I saw her. She walked out in to the kitchen and I had her sit in her wheelchair. Like I said before, it is just easier to push up to the table. So I put her plate in front of her and left the room. She will usually sit for around 20 minute and eat. I heard her moving around, but didn't think much of it. A few minutes later I walked back in the kitchen and she had gotten out of her wheelchair and was sitting in a kitchen chair, eating her breakfast! So for now, I will retire that wheelchair! That is the only time I use it- for her to eat in. She took her pills and finished her breakfast. Then she asked me,"Is that a baby Debbie is holding in there?" She could see the couch, where I had left a blanket and her stuffed pink elephant. Her eyesight isn't very good, so she thought someone (me) was holding a baby. So I got down in front of her and said, "Who am I?' She said, "Well, you are you." "No, what is my name?" "Well, I can't think of it right now." "I am related to you?" "Probably." "I am Debbie, your daughter." "Oh, honey, I'm sorry. I know that." Then she hugged me! So, today, this morning, Mom was back...almost. Tonight...well, we'll see.

No comments: