Saturday, October 25, 2008

Physically Better, Mentally Out to Lunch

The better she feels physically the more confused she becomes. I guess maybe because she understands some things and it is confusing to her. When she didn't feel well, she didn't question anything. Now she questions everything! She was determined to go see her sister, but she couldn't find her keys. Well, she has no keys, only a key chain. So, I used one of my Alzheimer lies, telling her that the car needed a new motor and they had to go to Japan to get one. Hey, if I'm going to lie, I might as well make it a good one! She would accept that, but two minutes later ask me the same thing, I answered that same question about her car 15 times! Finally, I wrote it down for her. She took the paper and read it and stuck it in her pocket. She hasn't asked me again about her car. Then she wanted to have hamburgers delivered. I told her they don't deliver hamburgers and she told me they used to at home. Oh well, just another reason to try to leave here. She hasn't made any sense today at all, not being able to finish sentences and asking about her "little ones." I don't know what time period she is in right now. Yesterday, she talked about Barry coming for supper and I told her that he went to Ohio. She wanted to know who he went with. Without thinking I said his wife. Wrong thing to say! She had this horrible, confused look on her face and said, " He's married? When did he do that?" I changed the subject quickly, realizing that Barry, in her mind, was probably very young. I try hard not to add to her confusion, but sometimes I really screw up! Like yesterday, when she told me she had been to Aunt Florence's with Grandma and saw the twins. I was half listening and in one of my "funny" moods, so I told her that I had been to Florida. She got very serious and said, "Who did you go with?" I told her myself. She looked at me and said, "If you go again, I will go with you." I felt so bad. This was in the early afternoon. When I put her to bed, she said to me, "What time are we getting up to go in the morning?" I said, "Where are we going?" She looked at me and said, "We're going to the airport." She had not forgotten. She knows that Florida has "something" there that she wants to see. Thankfully, she had forgotten about her "trip" this morning when she woke up. My sense of humor will get me in trouble one of these days. Right now she is taking a little catnap. She ate a late breakfast, so she will have a late lunch. I am really undecided whether I want her physically strong, or mentally less confused. Whatever, it is what it is.

No comments: